- NZ and Australian trained physiologists
- International applicants
- Scopes of Practice for Clinical Physiologists
- Cardiac Physiology Registration
- Clinical Exercise Physiology Registration
- Neurophysiology Registration
- Respiratory Physiology Registration
- Renal Physiology
- Sleep Physiology
- Applying for Registration
- Fees and payments
Sleep Physiologist Registration
Sleep Physiologist workforce in New Zealand
Sleep Physiologists in New Zealand practice in both major public hospitals, private hospitals and in private practice.
The professional society for sleep physiologists in New Zealand is the Australia and New Zealand Sleep Science Association (ANZSSA) link to ANZSSA website
NZ Professional Development Outline for Sleep Physiologists
Entry to Practice
Undergraduate degree in science or physiology
------(apply for registration with conditions) ------
Post Graduate development
- Completion of Post Graduate Diploma of Medical Technology with specialization in Sleep Medicine (University of Otago Wellington), or equivalent sleep qualification.
- Completion of a) New Zealand Sleep Certification examination (NZSCE) from Australia & NZ Sleep Science Association or
b) Completion of Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT) certification examination through the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT), or equivalent competency assessment.
3. Two years full time equivalent working in a training position to include on-the-job training and competency assessment in core sleep diagnostics and therapy procedures including but not limited to polysomnography (attended/unattended), limited/home sleep testing, therapy titration procedures, multiple sleep latency testing, maintenance of wakefulness testing, CPAP initiation and ongoing monitoring, Non-Invasive Ventilation (NIV) initiation and ongoing monitoring, arterial blood gas testing, scoring/analysis of diagnostic procedure data, and interpretation of therapy adherence data procedures.
All three elements are required for registration as a Clinical Physiologist in Sleep without a condition of Supervised practice.
------(apply for condition of supervision to be lifted from APC)------
Further development as a Sleep Physiologist
Master or PhD in sleep physiology (various institutions)
- On-the-job training to include advanced procedures where available
Competency standards for Sleep Physiologists
The competency standards for sleep physiologists are set by Australia and New Zealand Sleep Science Association (ANZSSA). They were last updated in 2014.
To download o copy of the standards click on the link:
Overseas trained Sleep Physiologists
Registration for Sleep physiologists trained overseas is on a case by case basis. The general requirements for overseas trained Sleep Physiologists looking to register in New Zealand are:
1) membership of ANZSSA
2) Degree level Sleep specific qualification
3) Registration in the country you are practicing.
If no degree level qualification:
4) 5 years clinical experience in Sleep physiologist equivalent role
Applicants are likely to be registered with conditions of supervised practice, until the New Zealand Sleep Certification Examination (NZSCE via ANZSSA) has been sat and passed.