1. Completion of Post Graduate Diploma of Medical Technology with specialisation in Sleep Medicine (University of Otago Wellington), or equivalent sleep qualification.
2. Completion of New Zealand Sleep Certification examination (NZSCE) from Australia & NZ Sleep Science Association
Completion of Registered Polysomnographic Technologist (RPSGT) certification examination through the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT), or equivalent competency assessment.
3. Two years full time equivalent working in a training position to include on-the-job training and competency assessment in core sleep diagnostics and therapy procedures including but not limited to polysomnography (attended/unattended), limited/home sleep testing, therapy titration procedures, multiple sleep latency testing, maintenance of wakefulness testing, CPAP initiation and ongoing monitoring, Non-Invasive Ventilation (NIV) initiation and ongoing monitoring, arterial blood gas testing, scoring/analysis of diagnostic procedure data, and interpretation of therapy adherence data procedures.
All three elements are required for registration as a Clinical Physiologist in Sleep without a condition of Supervised practice.
Further development as a Sleep Physiologist:
1. Master or PhD in sleep physiology (various institutions)
2. On-the-job training to include advanced procedures where available